Skip to main content

Day 20 - Yellowstone to Helena, MT

Time to pack up yet again. Northwest quadrant of the park today then heading north toward Glacier. We stopped at Roaring Mountain and the Obsidian Cliff (Ruth: "1 star, underwhelming"; I agree) on the way to our big site for the day - Mammoth Hot Springs. I was excited to see this area since all the pictures I'd seen when researching looked otherworldly. 

Zadie: Meh

Zadie was Yellowstoned out by this point, over it, and not interested in walking around this area in the heat. Here's her take, written as we drove away:

Mammoth Spring was horrible, hot, and long. I was very upset and it sucked. 1 star, 0 if possible. Sincerely, Zadie

The rest of us enjoyed it! How could you not? Ruth said it looked like the moon.

We had several hours to drive after leaving here, but made several stops along the way. First, we got some Thai food in a small town where we split two yummy meals and still had a ton of leftovers. Next, we drove through downtown Bozeman (cute!) where we popped into a thrift store. Finally, we stopped to see one of Zadie's best friends, whose dad lives in Butte. Great luck for us that she was visiting at the same time as we were passing through! Zadie was really excited to see her, and we enjoyed getting to know her family, who were so gracious to host us while the kids hung out. Fun stop! Cool town too, with lots of cool old houses. 

Our stop for the night was a hotel in Helena, which is about halfway between Yellowstone and Glacier. Happy again for real beds and showers!

Popular posts from this blog

Next Up - The Great American Road Trip!

Dear reader - and here I'm speaking primarily to myself, as I'm writing mainly to document these memories for my own future enjoyment - I must apologize. I barely captured anything here about our Costa Rica trip in summer 2024, and nothing at all about our two weeks in Prague and Vienna in 2025. Maybe someday I'll catch up, but in the meantime, let's forge ahead! This summer we're staying in the US. Time for a nearly 6-week long road trip! Why now? Ruth will be a senior in high school next year, so this might (?) be the last time we can all do such a long trip together. Bill quit his job in April (yay for FIRE, aka Financial Independence / Retire Early... but that's a whole separate post), so we've got this short window where we all have the time freedom to do it.  Here's the plan: Leg 1 - Raleigh west to Denver. We'll visit Asheville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Memphis, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, and Great Sand Dunes National Park along the...

Wall and shower (?!) paint

Last post, I mentioned that we'd painted the walls, so here are finally some pics. The color was pre-selected for us: we found this teal on one of the three layers of walls that we demoed. Bill installed a fan in the wall above the window, which got new trim to match the rest of the house. He also put in two recessed lights in the ceiling, a medicine cabinet, and a light over the cabinet. In the pics below, you'll see only the top half of the wall painted, since the bottom half will have white beadboard. The last picture shows the shower area, painted in a crazy "liquid rubber" waterproofing goo (ShowerSeal). Here's hoping that works.

Dishwasher and stove and sink, oh my!

Bill took today off work, and blew my mind. When I left this morning, the stove was in the entryway. I came home to find our stove in place and working. While I was playing with all the knobs and seeing how high a quick boil gas flame goes (answer: pretty darn high), I noticed a strange noise. It was the dishwasher. A running dishwasher!! Do you understand how fabulous that is?! It has been 6 months since I've heard that noise. And that meant... water is on throughout the kitchen. We have a sink! In the kitchen! A big one! Unlike the little pedestal sink in the downstairs bath, it's big enough to wash dishes in. Of course, screw washing dishes by hand - we have a working dishwasher! Woohoo! If that all wasn't enough, Bill also installed the under- and over-cabinet LED light strips. Nice!! We still have plenty to do here, including installing the tile backsplash, adding baseboards, and trimming out the doors. Cabinet installer also has a few tasks - filling that hole next to...